- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, de-seeded and chopped finely
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1.5kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups boiling water, extra
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and saute onion until soft. Stir in cumin, garlic, chilli and lemon zest and cook until fragrant.
- Add the potato and stock and season to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Puree soup and bring back to the boil. Add the quinoa and extra water, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Serve with fresh coriander and cracked pepper.
- Serves 8