A warm and healthy miso soup with tofu and cabbage on a chilly winter day. This is a quick and easy recipe that can be made any day of the week.
- 750 mls chicken or vegetable stock
- 3cm piece of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh red chilli*
- 1/2 savoy cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- low-salt soy sauce
- 100g silken tofu**
- Pour the stock into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Peel and julienne the ginger, peel and finely slice the garlic, then deseed and chop the chilli. Add to the stock, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Core and shred the cabbage. Peel and julienne the carrot, then add to the pan, cover and simmer for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cabbage is wilted.
- Stir in the miso paste and a good splash of soy sauce to taste.
- Add the tofu and let it stand for a few minutes before serving.
*You can omit the chilli if you are sensitive to spicy foods.
**Another alternative for the tofu would be chicken, however, make sure that the chicken is cooked in a pan prior to adding to the broth.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver