Staying hydrated following weight loss surgery can sometimes be difficult especially in summer. Here are some helpful tips to ensure that you are getting an adequate intake of fluids during the day.
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times and take small sips throughout the day. It may be useful to get a water bottle with a straw of some sort so you don’t accidentally take an overly large gulp.
- Vegetables and fruits with high water content are also a good way to keep hydrated such as avocado, pineapple, sweet potato, and cabbage.
- Track your fluid intake on your phone or in a fitness app. This can help give you regular reminders to drink more water.
- Limit the number of caffeinated drinks (Coffee, Tea, etc.) that you are having during the day as this can cause dehydration.
- If you are struggling with plain water you can add a slice of lemon or frozen mixed berries to your water. You can also include protein powder to your water to up your daily protein and water intake.
- Hydralyte is also a great option for patients that struggle to keep water down and also rehydrate you.
- Observe your urine to make sure that it has the right color pigment. A darker urine color signifies dehydration. Make sure that you have clear urine for a period of about five to ten times a day.
Know the signs of dehydration (dry mouth, fatigue, thirst, decreased urine output, headache, dry skin, dizziness) and take steps to ensure you are properly hydrated.
If you are concerned about your hydration, please contact our office on 07 3871 2277 or see your general practitioner.