Delicious vegetarian mushroom and tofu stirfry. This meal is diabetes-friendly, high in calcium, fibre and iron. The recipe can also be made vegan-friendly if you substitute the oyster sauce for a vegan-friendly version. Makes 2-3 portions.
- 200g small button mushrooms
- 150g firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 medium brown onion, sliced
- 1/2 bunch Asian greens, cut in 6cm lengths
- 2 shallots, trimmed, cut in4cm lengths
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sliced fresh chilli, to serve
- Place mushrooms, tofu, sesame oil, oyster sauce, garlic and mirin in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan or wok with olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Stir-fry onion for 1–2 minutes. Add the Asian greens and shallots; stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Remove, set aside.
- Spray pan or wok again with oil, and cook mushroom and tofu mixture in two batches. Stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Return onion and greens to the pan, with the marinade from the mushrooms. Toss mixture to combine.
- Heat your cooked quinoa. Divide mushroom and tofu stir-fry between four serving bowls. Serve with quinoa and top with fresh chilli.