Now that the mornings are starting to cool down, we can start to enjoy delicious hot porridge again. This is high fibre, high calcium, low kilojoule and diabetic friendly breakfast or lunch.
- 1 1/2 medium red apples, cored
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 3/4 cup of reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat yoghurt
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon pepitas
- Grate one apple. Combine the grated apple, oats, chia seeds, milk, vanilla and 3/4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the oats are tender and the porridge is thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining apples.
- Divide porridge between two serving bowls. Top each with a dollop of yoghurt, some apple slices, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of pepitas.