Here is a simple and delicious recipe that can be modified to suit the puree, soft or normal textured diet phase. It is gluten free, lactose free, high protein, high iron and low sugar.
Makes approximately 2 cups
Cooking time: Approximately 1 hour
- 200g extra lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 celery stick (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 cup chicken / beef / vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 tablespoon reduced salt tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Heat a non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook the beef mince, breaking it apart until it is cooked through. Remove from heat and place the cooked beef mince on a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, and add the diced onion, garlic, carrot, celery and bell pepper. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, pepper, herbs and spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the diced tomato, stock and cooked meat. Stir to combine.
- Let it simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Divide between containers and enjoy!
- More vegetables = serve with zucchini noodles
- Vegan / vegetarian = use lentils or meat alternatives such as funky fields or TVP
Nutritional information (per cup): 1245kJ, 300 calories, 29g protein, 17g fat, 5g saturated fat. 19g carbohydrates, 9g fibre.