When it comes to eating healthily and sticking to a nourishing diet, it’s helps to have diversity. So, if you’re looking for another salad to add to your repertoire, we’ve come across a Vietnamese-inspired chicken salad recipe that is light, refreshing and full of flavour!
Read on as we share all the ingredients you need to make the delectable dish and how to prepare it.
Ingredients for the Coconut Chicken Salad
- 1x can light coconut milk
- 2 cups reduced salt chicken stock or water
- 1 x 3cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, root and stems sliced, keep leaves aside
- 500g chicken breast fillets, diced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 2 granny smith apples, finely grated
- ¼ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- Optional: thinly sliced small red chilli
How to make the Coconut-Poached Chicken Salad
- To prepare the coconut poached chicken: Combine coconut milk, warm water / stock, ginger and coriander roots and stems in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat to simmer and add chicken pieces. Ensure there is enough liquid for the chicken to be submerged – add some more water/stock if necessary.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove saucepan from heat, leaving the chicken in the coconut broth for 5 more minutes.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate to cool down and shred using a fork.
- Combine carrots, bean sprouts, mint leaves, apples and half the coriander leaves in a large salad bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lime/lemon juice, fish sauce and brown sugar until the sugar crystals dissolve.
- Pour dressing over the chicken salad and lightly toss to combine.
- Scatter crushed peanuts, remained coriander leaves and chili (optional) over the top.
- Option to top the salad with fried shallots and/or Vietnamese mint leaves
Did you make this recipe?
Share it with us below!
Need Healthy Eating Tips?
Planning out your weekly menu can also help you to stick to your healthy eating goals. We’ve put together a list of Tips for Meal Prepping After Bariatric Surgery.
For healthy snack ideas, check out some of our other recipes here.