What is more comforting than a warm bowl of curry, especially on these rainy nights? This recipe for tofu and vegetable curry is packed full of flavour and nutrients. Plus, it is vegan, gluten-free and lactose free!
Tofu Vegetable Curry
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Tofu Curry Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or grated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups pumpkin, chunky diced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (400ml) light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup reduced sugar tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (double if you prefer a thin consistency curry)
- 1/4 cup cashew or peanut butter
- 1 can chickpeas or kidney beans
- 1 packet (500g) firm tofu (I prefer the Simply Better Foods Organic Firm Tofu)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for this Easy Curry Recipe
- Add olive oil to a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Throw in all your vegetables (pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, capsicum) and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have slightly softened.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon and stir through.
- Add salt and pepper according to your liking.
- Next, add the coconut milk, tomato sauce, broth and peanut butter. Stir well and let it cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Gently add the firm tofu and chickpeas.
- Let the curry simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with a teaspoon of light Greek yoghurt (optional) and some chopped cilantro. You can also add a few chopped cashews on top for extra crunch!
Don’t like Tofu or the listed Vegetables? Make Modifications!
If you’re not fond of the vegetables we’ve listed you can make some modifications to include your favourites e.g. cauliflower, capsicum, peas, broccoli, green beans etc.
Also, if you don’t like tofu, you can use chicken breast chunks instead.
Other Healthy Recipe Ideas
Are you looking for more inspiration for healthy meals?