Looking for a beef and vegetable stew recipe that is healthy and delicious? We share the ingredients and steps below for a nourishing dish.
Ingredients for Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 800g beef chunks
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1-2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chunky diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 500ml beef stock (low sodium)
- 1 cup peas
- ½ bunch of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
How to Make the Delicious Dish
- Toss the beef chunks, plain flour and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a large bowl until the beef chunks are well coated.
- Add olive oil to a large non-stick casserole pot and place over medium-high heat on the stove.
- Add the beef chunks (in batches) and sear for 5 minutes, or until the meat is evenly browned.
- Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot on low-medium heat, add onion, carrots and celery, and cook until the vegetables are tender. Add a splash of olive oil if needed.
- Stir in the garlic, mushrooms, tomato paste and bay leaves, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef chunks back to the pot, along with the broth, Worcestershire sauce and thyme leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and allow it to simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Optional: serve with a piece of toasted wholegrain bread.
TIP: Stews and casseroles freeze well. In order to freeze safely, cool the stew completely. Place individual portions of the stew in a heavy plastic air tight container. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Would you like more inspiration for nourishing meals? Click here for other healthy recipe ideas.