If you’re tired of the same old garden salad and looking for a new recipe, we explain how to make a wholesome and tasty grain salad below.
This is a super quick and fresh salad to make that will leave you feeling satisfied, especially in these warmer months.
It is great for a main meal, snack or a side dish.
Benefits of Whole Grains
Whole grains offer a variety of health benefits including – fibre, B vitamins, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium, antioxidants, phytochemicals as well as protein.
Fibre in particular is an important part of a diet following bariatric surgery, as it helps with satiety, slows digestion, improves bowel regularity and prevents constipation, and helps maintain a healthy weight. Fibre has also been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and to stabilise blood sugar levels.
High-protein whole grains include: Quinoa, Freekah, Barley, Legume-based pasta, Wild rice, Couscous, Buckwheat.
Grain Salad Recipe: Ingredients
- 3/4 cup cooked high-protein grains
- 200g tinned lentils
- 100g kale / spinach / rocket leaves
- 3 tbsp. sliced Kalamata olives
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 small capsicum, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, diced
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked diced pumpkin
- 1 tbsp. crumbed low fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tbsp pickle juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- If you are using uncooked grains, you will need to cook them as per packet instruction
- Drain and rinse tinned lentils
- Mix all ingredients together and stir well to combine.
This salad tastes delicious alongside some grilled chicken or steamed white fish!
Let us know if you’ve tried this recipe by commenting below! Or if you’d like some more inspiration for healthy meals, click here.