Below we share a healthy prawn salad recipe that is bariatric friendly and can be made as a snack or main meal.
But before we list the ingredients you need and explain how to make the tasty dish, we’re going to touch on the nutritional benefits of prawns.
Health Benefits of Prawns
Prawns can be a great substitute for chicken, beef, fish, and eggs. Plus, they are highly nutritious.
They are a high-quality protein source, providing almost 25g protein (and 110 calories) in 100g of cooked weight.
They are also a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, B vitamins, zinc, iron and selenium.
- Protein helps build and maintain muscle mass and hence your strength. Protein also acts as a source of energy and assists with weight loss as it is a satiating nutrient.
- Omega 3 fatty acids helps reduce unhealthy fat (triglyceride) levels in the body, helps reduce symptoms of joint pain and helps improve mental focus.
- B vitamins provide many benefits including strengthening the body’s immune function, brain function and assists with energy production.
- Zinc is also important for immune function, wound healing, cellular function and protein synthesis.
- Iron helps maintain energy levels and is required for the synthesis of some hormones.
- Selenium helps regulate thyroid function and plays a huge role in immune function.
If you have an aversion or are allergic to prawns, you can substitute it with grilled chicken or white fish.
Healthy Prawn Salad Ingredients
- 300g peeled and de-veined prawns
- 1 large capsicum, finely diced
- 1/4 lime or lemon
- 1 tin kidney or black beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- half bunch continental parsley leaves, coarsely torn
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper for tasting
Grilled Prawn Salad Directions
- Drain, rinse and soak the tinned beans
- Combine olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and lime juice in a small bowl to create a marinade for the prawns. Add prawns and refrigerate for as long as possible,
- In a large bowl, add diced capsicum, corn kernels, parsley leaves and beans. Mix well.
- Pre-heat a grill pan and cook prawns until translucent or just cooked.
- If you like a bit of spice, you can add some chili powder to the prawn marinade.
For more recipes, please head to our blog.