Are you thinking of having a weight loss procedure done but have a lot of questions on your mind about what happens post gastric sleeve surgery, specifically?
You’re not alone! Many people have questions about the recovery, lifestyle changes that come with it and the longevity of the weight loss.
In this guide, we’ve compiled answers to some of the most common post gastric sleeve surgery questions.
Post gastric sleeve surgery recovery
How long does it take to recover post gastric sleeve surgery?
Recovery can vary, but most take around two weeks to fully recover. Remember, your recovery journey is unique to you and it may take a little longer or be a little shorter!
How long is the hospital stay post gastric sleeve surgery?
Typically, patients are required to stay one night/two days in hospital. This period is critical for monitoring your recovery immediately following the procedure.
When can I start exercising post gastric sleeve surgery?
It depends on the type and intensity of the exercise, but generally, we do not recommend engaging in:
- cardio exercises for at least three weeks after surgery
- Swimming for at least three weeks after surgery
- Weight lifting for at least six weeks after surgery
Light exercises such as walking is encouraged in the early stages.
If you have more questions about exercise, make sure to consult with Dr Adib for his recommendations on the specific exercise you have in mind
Is the gastric sleeve surgery reversible?
No, gastric sleeve surgery permanently reduces the size of your stomach.
Can I fall pregnant following gastric sleeve surgery?
Yes, although we recommend waiting for at least a year before trying to conceive. Many patients find their fertility improves with weight loss.
Gastric sleeve weight loss
How much weight will I lose post gastric sleeve surgery?
Weight loss outcomes vary between individuals and it can depend on various factors, but it boils down to your commitment to lifestyle and dietary changes.
Losing around a half a kilogram per week in the first 12 months post gastric sleeve surgery is the average rate, but losing a kilogram per week is also possible.
After 12-18 months, weekly weight loss may plateau, but remember the ultimate goal is sustainable weight loss, and not a quick, unsustainable loss
Eating and medication post gastric sleeve surgery
Can I eat anything I want?
After you’ve recovered from surgery, you have some flexibility with the foods you consume. However, there are a few things to be aware of:
- You can only eat small amounts of food so it’s important to prioritise nutrient-dense foods at each meal with a strong focus on protein rich foods
- Avoid foods high in sugar, calories and fat to optimise the benefits of your procedure.
- Eat mindfully and try not to over-eat, it can may cause a fair bit of discomfort
Can I still go out to eat?
Yes, absolutely! You can still enjoy dining out, but remember portion control is key. Our top tips for eating out are:
- Order smaller meals, think starter instead of main
- Eat slowly
- Do your research on the menu before hand
- Don’t be shy to share meals with your friends/family
- Don’t be shy to leave food behind or ask for a take home container
- Inform your host or hostess in advance that you’ve had weight loss surgery, so they understand your dietary limitations (we have dining cards available to communicate your needs).
Does gastric sleeve surgery impact how I take my medication?
Sometimes, yes. Continue taking your prescription medications as normal, although, some may need extra help to digest. We suggest the following:
- Opt for capsules
- Break large tablets in half
- Dissolve tablets in water
However, always consult with your healthcare practitioner who prescribed the medication before making any changes.
Transform your health with gastric sleeve surgery Brisbane
Remember, your journey to a healthier you is unique, and we’re here to support you every step of the way. If you have more questions or need further guidance, don’t hesitate to reach out.
Your path to a healthier you begins with the right information and support at Brisbane Obesity Clinic. Contact us today to start your transformation.