Accessing Early Release of Superannuation to Fund Weightloss Surgery
Insured and Uninsured patients can access Superannuation under compassionate medical grounds to pay for all out of pockets associated with weightloss surgery.
Who can apply for Early Release of Superannuation?
- Patients undergoing a Gastric Sleeve/ Sleeve Gastrectomy, Lapband or Gastric Bypass procedure
- Patients who have no other way to pay e.g. savings
- Patients with adequate superannuation funds to access
- Patients with a superannuation company that allow early release of super
I don’t have enough Superannuation, can I access another person’s?
Yes. In most cases you can also access the Superannuation of your spouse, partner, child or other dependant.
What will I need to access my Superannuation?
- A MyGov account
- An ATO account linked to your MyGov account
- An application form completed by Dr Reza Adib (supplied at your consultation)
- An application form completed by GP. (Supplied by our rooms after the surgery is booked in)
What do I need to do before my consultation?
- Call / Log in to the Superannuation fund and ensure you have adequate funds to access
- Ensure your ATO account and Mygov is up to date
How long does it take to access Superannuation?
The entire process takes approximately 8 weeks to be approved and paid. Please keep in mind that there can be delays with approving your Superannuation with the Australian Taxation Office.
How soon can I book my surgery If I go through Superannuation?
Surgery is usually booked 10 weeks in advance. Payment is 2 weeks prior to surgery.
Can I pay for my surgery and then claim the money back from my Superannuation?
No, Early Release of Superannuation is for unpaid costs only.
What do I need to bring to my consultation?
- Referral from your General Practitioner
- Medicare card
Both applications required for Early Release of Superannuation will be supplied after your consultation along with detailed instructions.
Will the money I access from my superannuation be taxed by the Government?
Yes, the government does tax a certain percentage of the amount withdrawn. To clarify this further please contact the ATO on 13 28 61.
Will this affect my Centrelink benefits?
This may or may not affect any current payments you are receiving from Centrelink for the financial year. This will depend on your individual circumstances. Please contact the Department of Human Services if you would like more information.
Do I still need to complete an application if I have a self-managed account?
Yes, you will still need to complete an application as you will require approval from the ATO to access your superannuation funds.
Are people commonly accepted when applying for Early Release of Superannuation?
99% of Brisbane Obesity Clinic patients are approved for Early Release of Superannuation. Our staff go through the application process in detail to make sure our patients are applying correctly. We will supply step by step instructions at your consultation to simplify the application process. We will also guide you through the Do’s and Don’ts when applying to ensure you have the best chance of approval.
Read more about applying for early release of superannuation for medical treatment here
Find out about more information on the obesity services provided: